Friday, June 19, 2015

Wednesday afternoon was my 4th year students' graduation. The event marked the split between students going to bachillerato, or what's considered 11th and 12th grade in the States, and trade school. They stay in the same class from elementary through their 4th year of high school, so being separated was an emotional experience for a lot of them.

It was a small ceremony held in the school's auditorium -- I think only one or two kids' parents came and the entire event lasted all of 45 minutes. The administrators read a few nice, yet predictably vague and optimistic speeches. One of my students sang a duet with another girl accompanied by a guitarist, covering a few pop songs arranged by the music teacher. They then crossed the stage, shook hands or kissed cheeks and received their diplomas. There was a brief montage (I made a handful of cameo appearances) and that was it. My teaching career, finished.

Looking on from the crowd, I couldn't help but notice how far they'd come in just the past year. What struck me most was how grown-up they looked and acted -- their ripped jeans and graphic tees were traded in for dresses, suit jackets, bowties and rompers. The girls wore makeup and the boys combed their hair. They were nervous, excited, nostalgic and everything between. They thanked me individually, gave me a card, chocolates and a standing ovation. I wished them a teary goodbye, not out of sadness or the passing of time, but out of how proud I was of the people they're becoming.

We met up again later at a local tapas bar, which served up massive platters of delicious, cheap bar food. We hung out, took dozens of photos and had a lot of laughs. It felt like the perfect sendoff -- the other professors and I kissed them goodbye, exchanged contact info and wished them the best as they ran off to buy beer and bottom shelf vodka from the convenience store to drink in the park. It was a re-affirmation that, yes, moving on sucks, but that what lies ahead will be as good as what we've left behind -- a figurative push for them out the door into adulthood.

Though I'd only spent 9 months with them, I'm proud the job I did. I mean, if the sendoff had been easy, it would've signified an inability to connect with the students, a problem that some of my co-workers experienced, and to me, a complete waste of our potential as positive role models. Sharing this precious stretch of time with them has changed me, as it was probably the only time in my life where the work I did had felt truly rewarding. Watching them apply themselves daily, overcoming the limited expectations placed on them and making learning fun (jeez, what a concept) was rewarding unto itself.

I hope they'll continue to learn and push themselves as they had this year, because they are a genuinely smart, hardworking, friendly and supportive group of students. I wish them boundless happiness and satisfaction in their adult lives and look forward to hearing their success stories in the future, of which there'll be many.

Enhorabuena, chicos. Os echaré de menos.



No comments:

Post a Comment